Latest Team Rankings
Free Text Alerts
|ShopMobileRadio RSSRivals.com Yahoo! Sports|
|College Teams||High Schools|
January 30, 2013
Week Twelve:The season continues to bring surprises and Tuesday night could be another night of shocking wins.
Tuesday Night Highlights
Grine: Lessons Learned
1. Bryce Alford The Best?: People are flocking into the gym to witness the scoring, passing and overall great basketball player Bryce Alford suit up for his last season as a Bear. Hit also entered the New Mexico High School record books on Tuesday night scoring his 2,046 point. (Feature: Alford enters the record books.). The rising question now: Where does Bryce Alford rank in your opinion for all-time players? (Debate it here).
2. Bernalillo - District 2-4A leaders: In a crazy finish we now have the Bernalillo Spartans (14-6, 2-0) as leaders of class 4A toughest District. The Spartans in control throughout the game almost let a big lead slip away but thanks to two huge FT's by senior guard Aaron Griffith and the Spartans are leading the pack. Could they return to the PIT?
3. Carlsbad feeling a little blue: The Cavemen started to make an impact on the rankings and they are still in my eyes a top-16 team in 5A for the tournament but got handled on Tuesday night by No. 10 Roswell High School. The Cavemen have made huge improvements as a class cellar team but they have a long way to go before they start thinking PIT.
Prime Time Player: Bryce Alford
It's very hard not to place the new, No. 10 scorer of all-time as the PTP of Tuesday night as explained above Alford reached a milestone.
Tristan Arnett and Aaron Griffith both excelled on Tuesday night over Capital. The two guards hit shot after shot along with Griffith hitting the two FT's for the win.
Rundown: Answer Questions
1. Rio Grande Ravens: The Ravens move to 3-0 in District 5-5A competition answering the call if they are the real deal for a tournament bid and District Championship game. They are answering each call-out.
2. Los Lunas legit?: I asked the question Tuesday morning and the Tigers are undefeated in District 6-4A play with a win over Gallup, 69-58. Maybe it's time to put them back with the top teams in 4A.
Upset Alert: No. 18 Hope 51, No. 7 Manzano 44. The Huskies continue to improve and will be favorites for the blue trophy in March -3A. The Monarchs are being the up and down team that had a good run in after the bad start, are we going in reverse?
Yawn: No. 5 Las Cruces 72, Mayfield 35. This one was all Bulldawgs as Las Cruces puts themselves in their own tier in District 3-5A. Mayfield to their credit is very young and give it time for this team to develop. NExt year they will be back in the hunt.
Closer Than I Thought: No. 6 St. Pius X 48, St. Mike's 33. The game was closer than 15-points and the Horsemen gave the Sartans a scare. Both teams are Final Four picks and should be their late into March without a doubt.
Shocker: Onate 46, No. 23 Alamogordo 37. The unranked Knights have been needing this type of win and they finally got it on Tuesday night. The Tigers of Alamo have been on a mudslide and could be flirting with being left out in March.
50/50: 0-45. I lost again but hey I got some sort of honorable mention I was only five numbers off!
Box Score Recaps
Onate 46, No. 23 Alamogordo 37: The Onate Knights needed a win and got a big one over District foe and the number 23rd team in New Mexico on Tuesday. Fueled by fundamentals as a program the Knights let their defense and rebounding lead to a victory. The Knights out-rebound the Tigers 26-13 in the first-half. Daemund McCants led the way with 15 points and 9 rebounds.
No. St. Pius X 48, St. Michael's 33: In the clash of private schools from Albuquerque and Santa Fe it was the Sartans who used a huge fourth quarter to pull ahead and win. Guards Joe Sanchez, 15 points and Micah Sanchez 13 points led the way for the Sartans.
No. 3 Valley 53, West Mesa 49: The Valley Vikings avoided a scare by the unranked Mustangs on Tuesday evening. Adonis Saltes put in 15-points to fuel the win for the Vikings who are (13-3, 3-0 District 5-5A). West Mesa was led by top forward Jason Baca who had 19 points.
No. 18 Hope Christian 51, No. 7 Manzano: A shocker on the night had the Huskies upsetting the Manzano Monarchs on Tuesday. Austin Drake put in a hard 14 points to lead the Huskies to a big win. The Monarchs got 22-points from Jarrell Harper in the loss.
No. 2 Sandia 69, Rio Rancho 56: Tim Brennan and Jordan Jones the dynamic duo for the Matadors helped win this non-district contest. Brennan had a game high 21-points and Jones finished with 17. The Rams duo in the backcourt fell short Josh Lucero 20-points and Brady Patterson 19.
No. 1 La Cueva 91, Cleveland 73: In a record night the Bryce Alford led Bears won in convincing fashion on Tuesday evening. Alford finished the night with 43-points on the night. Sophomore Ryan Wenze-Bullard also put in 17-points for the Bears in the win. Kaydon Sneed had 28-points in the loss.
No. 20 Bernalillo 59, No. 15 Capital 58: Led by their trio of Brandon Saiz (17-pts), Tristan Arnett (16-points) and Aaron Griffith who hit the game winning FT's move to 2-0 and sole lead of District 2-4A.
No. 11 Atrisco Heritage 75, No. 17 Albuquerque High 73: The Jaguars moved to 9-8 on the season with the big District 5-5A win. Junior guard Corbin Waquie put in a big 29-points for the Jaguars. Mahlik Sims put in 23 points in the loss for Albuquerque High.
No. 25 Rio Grande 74, Highland 47: In a demanding win the Ravens moved to 3-0 in District 5-5A on Tuesday. Big man Mike Torrez walked to a 25-points on the night, while guards Dennis Lucero and Juwan Brooks finished with 18 points.
Join the Conversation: Comment Here
Joshua J. Grine joined NMPreps.com before the 2010 basketball season as our Senior Basketball Analyst. Grine is a former coach (Valencia, Rio Rancho) and basketball player (Grants, Rio Rancho) who has been around New Mexico for several years.
Twitter: Twitter Here.
New Mexico NEWS