Latest Team Rankings
Free Text Alerts
|ShopMobileRadio RSSRivals.com Yahoo! Sports|
|College Teams||High Schools|
February 5, 2013
Week Thirteen: Tuesday Night brings us the first match-up between the number one team in New Mexico against the number two team.
Three Gyms To Be At
1. Sandia High School: No. 1 La Cueva vs. No. 2 Sandia. District 2-5A is arguable the toughest District in New Mexico High School Basketball. Well, tonight District play starts but it also puts the number one team in the state on the road at the number two team in the state. The Bears are led by Bryce Alford who is also climbing the all-time scoring list. The Matadors are at their highest rank in head coach Alvin Broussard's tenure. Vote For The Winner.
2. Moriarty High School: No. 19 Albuquerque Academy vs. Moriarty. In a game that has so much meaning for the 2013 State Tournament. Both teams missed the tournament last season, the Moriarty Pintos hasn't been to the state tournament since 1983! Both teams need this win for seeding and tournament purposes.
A Few Questions:
1. Are they overrated? No. 10 Eldorado vs. No. 11 Manzano. It seems like folks are jumping off the Eagles wagon and many never jumped on the Monarchs but they are on the empty train as well. Very important game for both teams and for the rest of the season. The defending champs have been criticized lately as overrated. They can't afford to lose again.
2. Bubble Pop or Not? Artesia vs. Goddard. Both of these teams have similar roster make-ups and both are hunting for a playoff spot. The Artesia Bulldogs have a slightly better resume but a loss here could put them on the outside looking in again. I like the match-up of Alex Donaghe vs. David Sweet in the paint!
3. Are they Top-25 bound and a tournament team now? Onate vs. Mayfield. The Onate Knights have been a bit in the shadow this season but are currently in position to fight for the District 3-5A Championship which could in return put them back into the State Tournament. They cannot afford a loss other than to Las Cruces.
Grine: Tuesday Rundown
Upset Pick of Tuesday: Sandia over La Cueva.
Yawn game; win by twenty: Roswell over Ruidoso
I would be at if I was in SENM: Hobbs vs. Carlsbad.
Small School Game: Laguna-Acoma vs. Bosque.
Keep An Eye On These Teams
Del Norte Knights: Yes, the Knights are well out of the playoff picture - well don't think so quick. Last season we counted them out and they ended up in the thick of things almost getting an At-Large bid. They have had a tough schedule to this point and we will see if it pays off in District play. Could be a scary game for SPX.
Cleveland Storm: The Storm are another team far out and the bubble is about ready to explode. I say again - don't count them out. Cleveland has a roster that could surprise you at any moment. They just about made the tournament last season in the same situation and fought to the end in just about every game during District 1-5A play. Cibola has won some good games but also has lost some that makes the Storm look like an upset alert.
Carlsbad Cavemen : Carlsbad is having a miracle season ranked in the Top-25, above .500 and on the verge of getting back into the State Tournament. The big question mark is can they win a District game? They need just one and they should be in but the problem is what if they are 0-4 once again?
Small School Slaughter: Pecos 76, Santa Fe Prep 42. In a battle of two Top-25 teams the Panthers of Pecos totally demolished the Blue Griffons. Are the Pecos ready to run the table now and display their dominance?
Join the Conversation: Comment Here
Joshua J. Grine joined NMPreps.com before the 2010 basketball season as our Senior Basketball Analyst. Grine is a former coach (Valencia, Rio Rancho) and basketball player (Grants, Rio Rancho) who has been around New Mexico for several years.
Twitter: Twitter Here.
New Mexico NEWS