Latest Team Rankings
Free Text Alerts
|ShopMobileRadio RSSRivals.com Yahoo! Sports|
|College Teams||High Schools|
October 10, 2013
Today we preview Week 7 of the New Mexico High School Football Season.
1. Las Cruces - Now 6-0 after mercy ruling Artesia last week the Bulldawgs will open district play against Onate. This season, Senior Running Back JJ Granados has rushed for 837-yards and scored 18 touchdowns. Defensive End David Ramirez has 11.0 sacks. Look for the Dawgs to continued o play at a high level this weekend.
2. Cleveland - Play in the NMPreps.com Game of the Week against Sandia in week 7. It's a game which has been circled on both team's calendar's since the start of the season. The Storm ran past Highland last weekend 54-0. Quarterback Kian Homme has thrown for 933-yards and 9 touchdowns. If Cleveland wants to make a statement that they are a legit title contender this year: Beat Sandia
3. Valley - The Vikings defeated Manzano last weekend 32-7 to remain undefeated at 5-0. Their offense has been clicking from the start of the year, but recently their defense has turned it up as they seen to be getting better each week. This weekend they take on Atrisco Heritage in what's really the District 5-5A Title Game. If Valley wins this weekend, there is an excellent chance the Vikings go 10-0.
4. Rio Rancho - The Rams have survived two scares over the last two weeks and remain 5-1 this year entering a marquee game against Eldorado. They keep winning which is the good thing, but their defense has been vulnerable as they are plagued with some key injuries. Beating Eldorado would be another huge resume boost. Quarterback Easton Burere has thrown for over 1,000-yards and Receiver Tristen Foley has caught for over 400-yards and 9 touchdowns.
5. Cibola - The Cougars jumped up in the rankings during a bye week after the Mayfield Trojans lost. If the Cougars want to maintain their high ranking, beating La Cueva this weekend is a must. Tons of speed and size on this team, a couple weeks ago they hit 68 against Highland, before that they beat Sandia. Quarterback Derek Martinez has thrown for over 1,000-yards and Defensive Back Elijah Winfield has a state leading 6 interceptions.
6. Sandia - Will travel this weekend to take on the No. 2 ranked Cleveland Storm in the NMPreps.com Game of the Week. Their lone loss comes to Cibola back in week 2, but other than that Sandia has looked like a title contender. Their offense is really coming around and they still have one of the top defensive units in New Mexico entering the game allowing just 12.0 per game.
7. Volcano Vista - The NMPreps.com Week 7 Team of the Week after beating Mayfield last weekend 34-14 will take on Del Norte who is 4-2. Call it a trap game as the Knights are much improved this year under former Volcano Vista Assistant Coach Bruce Binkley. Last weekend Sophomore Quarterback Josh Williams threw for over 200-yards and 4 touchdowns. The Hawks defense led by Kendall Johnson and Mike Budick looked fantastic last week.
8. Mayfield - Slipped in the rankings after their road trip loss in Albuquerque against Volcano Vista 34-14. This weekend the Trojans take on Gadsden in a District 3-5A match up. On the year Mayfield has outscored opponents just 159-144. With a very winnable set of games up, the Trojans have a great opportunity to get healthy and gear up for their November 8th showdown with Las Cruces. This team is still 5-1.
9. Manzano - The Monarchs suffered their second loss of the season last week losing to Valley 32-7. It looks as though losing quarterback Angel Gonzales to a broken collar bone is starting to catch up with them, so a week off this weekend is likely just what the doctor ordered. Last year Manzano started off 6-1 before losing their final four games of the season. They play Cibola in week 8.
10. Clovis - With a huge 31-28 win over the Goddard Rockets last weekend, maybe the Wildcats will head to the Bulldog Bowl this week against Artesia with "C" decals finally on their helmet. Running Back Kamal Cass has been the headline maker all season long hitting the 300-yard mark like teams score touchdowns. Cass has rushed for 1,248-yards and 18 touchdowns. Clovis has been outscored by seasons opponents this year 212-198.
11. Goddard - The Rockets now 3-2 on the season after losing the Clovis Wildcats last weekend will take on the Carlsbad Cavemen at Ralph Boyer Stadium. This year the Rockets are scoring 33.4 points per game and led by Running Back Cody French who has close to 1,000-yards rushing on the year.
12. Carlsbad - Entering a huge contest with the Goddard Rockets Friday Night. Everyone will use this game as a measuring stick to gage just how good Carlsbad is. The Cavemen are scoring 34.8 points per game and led by a dangerous passing attack as Quarterback Rodney Holcomb has thrown for over 1,200-yards this year.
13. Eldorado - Now at 2-3 this season, the Eagles have had two weeks to prepare for the Rio Rancho Rams in what is a very important game to try and steal this weekend. The Eagles are scoring just 25.2 points per game and obviously they're going to need all the points they can get against a loaded Rio Rancho team.
14. Atrisco Heritage - The Jaguars need a statement win, it's that simple. Wins over Gallup, Valencia, and Centennial are not going to build the play-off resume, so upsetting Valley is what they need to do to help their end of the year play-off chances. This team is loaded with talent, their lone losses come against Eldorado and Rio Rancho, two games the Jaguars more than likely feel they should of won. Watch for RB Ricci Alvidrez who has rushed for 1,017-yards and 17 touchdowns.
15. Los Lunas - 4-1 on the season coming off a bye week headed straight into their rivalry game against Belen, it's the biggest 4A game they've played in all year. We've heard a lot about off the field issues this year and we're unsure if that is fact or fiction, what we do know is that Los Lunas is still extremely well coached and still has the edge talent wise on Belen. They enter this game scoring 40.8 points per game.
16. Belen - 4-1 on the season, just like rival Los Lunas and also coming off a bye week. The Tigers have received a ton of hype all season long and the Eagles have just done their thing weekly keeping their top 5 position in the rankings. The Eagles are nothing flashy, just a hard hitting team that wants this game badly. In the past few weeks Andrew Castillo has been Belen's marquee player. Eagles have outscored opponents this year: 143-99
17. Deming - Beat up on regional rival Silver last week and will now travel to Alamogordo to take on the Tigers. The Wildcat's rushing attack has been their bread and butter, Ish Garrett has rushed for 736-yards and 6 touchdowns this year and Jerome Sandoval has also been a key component to this year's offensive attack. No reason that Deming should not advance to 5-1 in week 7.
18. St. Michael's - Riding a 18 game winning streaking entering Saturday's match up with Centennial, makes the match up that much bigger. The Horsemen are coming off a 40-7 win over Capital and led by Daniel Ortega who has rushed for 906-yards and 19 touchdowns, and Quarterback Keith Dominguez who has thrown for 989-yards and 7 touchdowns. Defense is allowing just 7 points per game.
19. Farmington - They enter their week 7 regional rivalry game against Bloomfield 5-1 and ranked No. 5 in the NMPreps.com Class 4A Rankings. A bit of a surprise for Farmington, but when you look at their Coaching Staff (Gary Bradley) and their rushing attack with Austin Foutz, Brian Farley, and Jacob Lucas it's easier to understand the success they've had through the mid-year point. Look for them to control the clock this weekend and earn another impressive victory.
20. Hobbs - Flying high entering their week 7 showdown with Lea County Rival Lovington, the Eagles have an opportunity to move to 6-1 on the season, yeah really. Last week the Eagles had 9,000 in attendance as they blasted Alamogordo 41-0. They're winning, people are believing, and Hobbs Football is closer to reaching the play-offs. Expecting them to light it up against Lovington Friday Night. Hobbs Quarterback has thrown for 1,233-yards and 14 touchdowns this year.
21. La Cueva - Before you judge La Cueva or count them completely out of the play-offs know that the three teams they have lost to are a combined 16-0 this year. They have lost to Valley, Cleveland, and Las Cruces. A young team, but not a terrible team. They won't roll over against Cibola this weekend. They are outscoring opponent this year 27-23 this year.
22. Santa Rosa - Entering this weekend riding a 24 game winning streak, the Lions open up district against the Texico Wolverines who are now 3-3. Last weekend the Lions defeated Dexter 19-7. On the season Santa Rosa is led by Zeke Sena who has rushed for 893-yards and 8 touchdowns. The are scoring 38.9 points per game, defense us allowing just 13.7 points per game, they've thrown the football just 8-times all season long.
23. Silver - Now 4-1 after losing their first game of the season last weekend to Deming 35-19, the Wildcats will look to rebound against Ruidoso in a monster 3A game. The Colts are scoring 30.4 points per game and led by Quarterback Derek Salas who has thrown for 993-yards and 9 touchdowns this year. Running Back Franky Castillo has rushed for just over 400-yards.
24. Moriarty - The Pintos are now at the .500 mark this year after beating Albuquerque last weekend 55-0. They are looking for statement win number two and that could come this weekend as they take on Roswell High. The Pintos have really turned it up over the last two weeks scoring nearly 90 points against Piedra vista and Albuquerque. Joe Jackson at running back has emerged a key player. This team has a ton of momentum entering Friday Night.
25. Piedra Vista - The Panthers now 4-2 on the season after a 47-0 win over Bernalillo are open this week before taking on St. Pius X in week 8. This year, Piedra Vista has been led by Quarterback Isaiah Valdez and Beau Clafton. Clafton has 15 touchdowns, and over 1,300-yards total. Still a very dangerous team that could make some noise late in the year.
Non-Top 25 Teams
26. Artesia - Host the Clovis Wildcats, lost last weekend to Las Cruces 54-0
27. Centennial - Now 4-1 after beating Hatch 49-13. Travel to take on St. Mike's
28. Roswell - Now 4-2 after beating Gadsden. Play Moriarty in week 7
29. Del Norte - Beat Aztec last weekend, play Volcano Vista Friday
30. Ruidoso - Now 4-1 after beating Robertson 28-14, take on Silver
31. Valencia - 2-3 on the season, take on Gallup in a must win game
32. Aztec - Lost to Del Norte last week, play St. Pius X in week 7
33. Bloomfield - Now 4-1 this season, will play 5-1 Farmington
34. Onate - Beat West Mesa in OT, open district with Las Cruces
35. Clayton - Beat Escalante 51-0 last weekend, now 6-0. Take on Estancia
36. Hagerman - Beat Mescalero by forfeit, now 6-0 this year
37. Dexter - Lost to Santa Rosa 19-7, now 4-2 this year
38. Hatch - Lost to Centennial, take on Mesilla Valley in week 7
39. Kirtland Central - Now 4-1 entering their game against Capital
40. Academy - Now 5-1 after beating Los Alamos, play Academy
41. St. Pius X - Host Aztec this weekend at UNM Stadium
42. Gadsden - Lost to Roswell last week, take on Mayfield in week 7
43. Alamogordo - Lost to Hobbs 41-0, host Deming this weekend
44. Portales - Now 5-1 this year after beating Pojoaque, play Hope
45. Taos - Beat Espanola last week 35-7, now 4-1 on the season
46. Lordsburg - Beat Tornillo, Texas 12-0,
47. Texico - Now 3-3, beat Ft. Sumner 47-25. Take on Santa Rosa
48. Robertson - Now 2-4 after losing to Ruidoso
49. Lovington - 1-4, take on Hobbs at Watson Memorial
50. Estancia - Now 4-2 after beating Socorro, take on Clayton
Non-Top 50 Teams
51. Escalante - Lost to Clayton 51-0, play Ft. Sumner
52. Highland - Lost to Cleveland 54-0, play Albuquerque
53. West Mesa - Lost to Onate 27-24, play Rio Grande
54. Grants - Open, play Miyamura Thursday
55. Los Alamos - Lost to Academy 28-7, Open
56. Hope - Open, play Portales
57. Santa Teresa - Lost to Cathedral 39-24,
58. Eunice - Beat Tucumcari 35-6, play Questa
59. Gallup - Lost to K.C. 44-13, play Valencia
60. Santa Fe - Open, play Espanola
61. Tularosa - Beat McCurdy 52-0, play Cobre
62. Ft. Sumner - Lost to Texico 47-25, play Escalante
63. Miyamura - Lost to Bloomfield 39-0, play Grants
64. Pojoaque - Open, play Toas this weekend
65. Navajo Prep - Open, play Shiprock
66. Laguna - Beat West LV 46-6, play Tohatchi
67. Cobre - Beat Zuni 47-0, play Tularosa
68. Raton - Beat SFIS 53-0, play West Las Vegas
69. Rio Grande - Lost to Carlsbad 50-0, play West Mesa
70. NMMI - Beat Capitan 14-13, play Hot Springs
71. Capitan - Lost to NMMI 14-13, Open
72. Tucumcari - Lost to Eunice 35-6, play Academy
73. Jal - Beat Magdalena 45-13, play Hobbs JV
74. Magdalena - Lost to Jal 45-13, play Cuba
75. McCurdy - Open, play Dulce
New Mexico NEWS