Latest Team Rankings
Free Rivals Alerts
|ShopMobileRadio RSSRivals.com Yahoo! Sports|
|College Teams||High Schools|
December 10, 2012
Hoops: Week Four Rewind
Week Four of the season seen one major upset of the night along with a few minor upset games on the night. NMPreps.com was there to capture some highlights.
Week Four Highlights
Bulldog State Of Mind
The No. 5 Albuquerque High Bulldogs (3-0) slightly doubted at the start of the season have again proven to be a team to put on your radar.
Led by, Mr. Basketball candidate, Mahlik Sims the Bulldogs beat two teams that were ranked in the Top-10 during week four. First taking out Cibola then taking out a Volcano Vista team that was in talks of being a Final Four team.
The Miyamura Patriots (3-0) are ranked in the Top-25 for the first time in school history, they sit at No. 21 after starting the season 3-0. The Patriots who have consistently sat at the bottom of their class and Big School Division hoops have made the biggest leap in any rankings.
New Coaches in 2012-2013
Hot or Cold: Districts
District 4-5A (Record: 9-4) District only has three teams but two are ranked in the Top-5, Clovis (No. 3) and Hobbs (No. 4) while Carlsbad is (2-1) after having a pair of miserable years.
District 3-4A: Regarded as one of the weakest Districts for years this District officially looks like one of the strongest. They should have more than one team make state and could be a serious dog fight for the District title.
District 1-5A: The District had a bad week going 4-5 while most teams moved down in the rankings. Only Cibola stayed in the Top-10 while Cleveland slipped out of the Top-25 this week.
District 1-4A: The District started to gain some love last season and it has sent a team to the Final Four the past two years but this season they have lost many games and could be looking at one maybe two teams getting a bid.
Lessons Learned: Boy Grine Was Wrong
1. Taos was going to finis 4th in District 2-3A: The Tigers are 5-1 and ranked in the Top-25 as the only member from their District ranked this year.
2. Espanola Valley would be a year away: Still a lot of basketball to go but never did I think head coach Richard MArtinez would have his team playing this well this early. The Sundevils are young and I figured next year would be the year they were back. Solid job getting back into the Top-25 for the first time since 2011, the year they won it all.
3. Centennial might win 1 game: Well, the Hawks already look like they can hang with the classifications top teams and have more than one win. The Hawks could be a surprise tournament team.
Week Five: Top-25 Rankings
1. Eldorado Eagles: The Eagles (3-0) stay at the one spot with wins over Top-25 teams, Atrisco Heritage Academy and Hope Christian.
2. Valley Vikings: The Vikings (2-0) move up to the #2 spot after beating Cibola last week to stay perfect on the year.
3. Clovis Wildcats: After sitting at the 2-spot of the first four weeks the Wildcats slip a spot to number 3 after going (1-1) over the weekend.
4. Hobbs Eagles: After jumping out to a 5-0 start the Eagles went 1-2 this past week losing to some very tough Texas teams.
5. Albuquerque High Bulldogs: The Bulldogs (3-0) had a great weekend and start to the year beating three teams ranked in the Top-15 so far.
21. Miyamura Patriots: (3-0) start is the best in school history and 21 is the highest ranking, while being in the Top-25 is the first-ever.
23. Moriarty Pintos: The Pintos are (5-1) and off to their best start in over thirty years of basketball. Also, it is their first time being in the Top-25 in school history.
24. Taos Tigers: The Tigers are (5-1) and looking to make noise in 3A once again.
25. Espanola Valley Sundevils: at 5-2 the Sundevils could be thinking Elite Eight again this season. They are ranked in the Top-8 of their class.
Full Rankings Here-Week Five: Top-25 Rankings
School Honors Program
PLAYERS RISING THE CHARTS
Tyler Day, Alamogordo: Tyler Day in his first year of New Mexico basketball has already popped up on peoples radar and was seen on Week Four's 25 Mr. Basketball candidates. Day has been a big part to the Tigers fast start as they rise in the Top-25 Rankings.
2. Tim Brennan, Sandia: Brennan also seen on the Mr. Basketball candidates list has seen his stock rise faster than most players.
3. Earl Woods, Hobbs: Player of the week in Week Three, Earl Woods is the second Eagles player to make the candidates list for the Mr. Basketball award.
Feature Here: Week Four 25 Mr. Basketball Candidates
Join the Conversation: Comment Here
New Mexico NEWS