2. Espanola not out but the young Sundevils are heating up: No. 15 Espanola Valley 83, No. 16 Bernalillo 61. Just when I thought the Sundevils would cool down after losing big man John Cotton to injury the Sundevils destroy District 2-4A leader Bernalillo High School. They were led by a freshman by the name of Elias Archuleta who had 6-three pointers on 28 points.
3. More District 5-5A News: West Mesa 55, No. 9 Atrisco Hertiage 50. The Mustangs are joining the rumble for the runner up spot with Rio Grande, Albuquerque High and Atrisco. The three teams are a couple games behind leader Valley, who beat Highland on Wednesday. It could eventually hurt or help the teams come selection Sunday. I'll try and figure that out on the Week 13: NMPreps.com Road To The PIT.
1. Coaches on Leave From District 2-4A: James Barron (santafenewmexican) reported that Santa Fe head coach and Capital assistant coach are both on paid administration leave. The two teams squared off last night with Capital coming away with the win. Join the conversation.
2. More Young Sundevils: The Espanola Valley Sundevils have young faces and another name emerges with Elias Archuleta a freshman three point shooter. He will be a name to remember along with sophomore Jared Garduno who has shown signs of being a solid prospect.
3. Valley Duo: Joe Anaya and Adonis Saltes continue to explode and lead the Valley Vikings. The guard combo had a combined 44 of the Vikings 59 points. Anaya had 27 points (4 three pointers) and Saltes finished with 17. Both players could be the leading candidates for District 5-5A player of the year.
Prime Time Player: Joe Anaya
The sweet shooting guard is not only one of the state of New Mexico's top players the junior is leading the Vikings back and could be in place for being the number one team in next weeks poll depending on how the rest of the week goes. They would have to leap from Sandia who was number two and recently upset number one La Cueva.
Wednesday Starting Five:
Elias Archuleta, Espanola Valley: 28 points (6 Three's)
Mahlik Sims, Albuquerque High: 15 points, 9 assists.
Marc Mosley, West Mesa: 13 points.
Bryan Medina, Highland: 25 points.
Nominate: Week 13: Player of the Week
Tuesday Night Highlights
Join the Conversation: Comment Here
Joshua J. GrineClick Here to view this Link. joined NMPreps.com before the 2010 basketball season as our Senior Basketball Analyst. Grine is a former coach (Valencia, Rio Rancho) and basketball player (Grants, Rio Rancho) who has been around New Mexico for several years.
Twitter: Twitter Here.