3. Capital ready to turn heads: The Jaguars come in ranked No. 21 and are looking to be the talk of 4A hoops this season. This should be over by halftime as the Jaguars are heavy favorites over Santa Fe Indian.
4. Turning over a new page: Santa Fe Indian High School will look to end a 35 game losing streak as they were ranked No. 67 out of 67 Big School Division teams. The task will be hard though as they face the No. 21 Capital Jaguars.
5. New Mexico's Centennial: Centennial High School opens it's doors to it's new gym and they will take on Anthony (TX) in their first basketball game.
6. Moriarty Pintos a sleeper in 4A?: Several seniors, a great young coach and talent to be dangerous. The Pinots open the season against Taos in the Bernalillo Tournament this weekend, don't be shocked to see a different team.
7. Week One Showtime, can they keep it going: We heard a lot about the Onate Knights (3-1) last week and now the test to keep the winning ways going. They face Andress (TX) in a rematch of last weeks game, one that the Knights won.
8. Are They Thinking Final Four?: Bernalillo High School has three solid guards this year and could be a dangerous 4A team this season. Led by Brandon Saiz's shooting range the Spartans could become a favorite early.
9. New Faces on the sidelines: Robertson has a new head coach in Manuel Romero. The task at hand is to get the Cardinals back to the Final Four, where they were last season. Chaparral is (0-1) under new head coach Fernando Hernandez but don't count out this coach, I think he will have them playing well by seasons end.
10 Bring out the stretchy pants: Okay, you can see this one but why not throw it in there. I can't wait to have my moms tamales, a family recipe past down from my grandmother and they are to die for. Oh and Saturday you could beat that I will be watching No. 1 Notre Dame football. Go ND!!
Five Players on My Radar
Daemund McCants, Onate: You want to see this kid play this season. He is putting up numbers and games that could have him eyeing a M. Basketball consideration.
Luke Thomas, Moriarty: I think this point guard for the Pintos will be fun to watch. He handles the ball very well and has a nice spin move.
Brandon Saiz, Bernalillo: Saiz will have his Spartans ready come the weekend as they host their tournament. He can shoot lights out from the wing.
Tristan Arnett, Bernalillo: Arnett is a long, slender guard who can finish at the rim. He has nice hops with the ball and makes good decisions in of the dribble. Killer defender too.
Mario Ramirez, Santa Teresa: He had one of the top State Tournament performances last season with a pair of double-doubles. Can he translated to this year, only in his junior season now, I think so.
Join the Conversation: Comment Here
Week 1 Recap: Four Quarters, The Week That Was
Joshua J. GrineClick Here to view this Link. joined NMPreps.com before the 2010 basketball season as our Senior Basketball Analyst. Grine is a former coach (Valencia, Rio Rancho) and basketball player (Grants, Rio Rancho) who has been around New Mexico for several years.
Twitter: Twitter Here.